Pressure Pads for Heels

Options

Hi Everyone.

Because of my Osteoarthritis I am only able to sleep on my back and just recently when getting up have noticed that my heels as well as being red are also getting sore. I do not relish getting pressure sores on my heels and am wondering if anyone else suffers with this problem and if so, do they have a solution? Apart from putting a cushioned plaster on my heels at night, which would be difficult to reach to do I am at a loss. Hoping someone can help. Many thanks.πŸ™‚

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 348
    Options

@Fran54 I have recently had my hip replaced and had to sleep on my back for a few weeks. I had the same sore heels and found the best way was to raise them with a shaped, memory foam pillow that I had previously used between my knees for side-sleeping whilst waiting for surgery. It worked as it was comfortable and my feet were slightly raised from the bed so no way could they get sores. I know other people have used rolled up towels to do the same thing. Anything so that your heels are in the air slightly and not resting on the bed.

Putting pads on my heels actually made it worse though.

Hope you find something that works for you. 😊

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 188
    Options

Hi@Janlyn

thank you for your reply. I have tried wearing no show trainer socks but that doesn't seem to work. May have to try a rolled up small towel as suggested as I have not got a memory foam pillow.

So glad that your hip replacement went well.

Take careπŸ™‚

• Janlyn
    Options

@Fran54 I tried socks and found it was even more painful so I think if you try anything that lifts your heels off of the bed but is comfortable it should work. Even a normal pillow might work? I do know how painful it is so I hope you get it sorted.

Take care, 😊

• Fran54
    Options

Hi@Janlyn

I tried a small towel rolled up last night, as I have Osteoarthritis in my right knee as well as both hips but the position my right knee/hip was in aggravated my back pain and it didn't feel very comfortable. I searched online today and found some soft silicone gel heel sleeves so I have ordered them and will see how they go. Will try anything so long as it helps!

Take care😊

• Janlyn
    Options

@Fran54 Definitely sounds worth a try - hope they work.

Take care 😊

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    edited 14. Mar 2024, 10:52
    Options

@Fran54

Have a look at cushtie pillows. I have one that's about the length of my forearm to middle finger which I originally bought when I had shoulder surgery and have used ever since for aching limbs pre and Post surgery

They're brilliant! Filled with tiny balls they're so soft and cushion your limbs perfectly.

Trish xx

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

I do hope the pads help. They sound similar to the 'Second Skin' pads which Mr SW used to use when hiking. Wonderful stuff.

I'm puzzling as to why you have this problem and I don't! I also have to sleep on my back and I have dry skin so..... All I can think of is that, because of the dry skin, which has led to more than one bout of cellulitis, I have to moisturise me legs. Just an ordinary, aqueous cream applied with a long-handled pad.

Or, maybe it's sheets (Mine are cotton) or laundry powder / liquid.

A very low-tech solution might be to use plastic under your heels so that they slide. I'm currently on an old bread wrapper for my leg exercises!

Good luck with whatever you try.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fran54
    Options

Hi@Trish9556

thanks for the advice about cushtie pillows will have to have a look at them if the silicone gel sleeves don't work. Fingers crossed !!

Fran. xπŸ™‚

• Fran54
    Options

Hi@stickywicket

This condition has only really started a few weeks ago, so I started using a foot cream which has 25% urea in it which has helped. I use it in the morning and my heels are quite soft and less red, so I suppose that lying flat on my back there is a lot of pressure on that part of the foot. I will have a word with my podiatrist when I next see her.

My sheets are also cotton as I could not stand anything else like polyester. πŸ˜•I also use the same washing powder.

The bread wrapper sounds good too!

Fran xπŸ™‚