Raised Liver Levels

Options

Hi, I've been on Sulphalazine for a year for RA and Osteo - was on Methotrexate injections before this but my liver levels became raised and I was taken off it.

I've now been told I need a liver ultrasound as my enzyme levels are 160+ and told to stop the sulfalazine.

I stopped a few days ago but am finding the pain is getting worse. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Sample
    Sample Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello @Jane68

I've had similar, methotrexate stopped for raised liver enzymes, tried sulfasalazine but made me very sick, then tried leflunomide and stopped due to raised liver enzymes! I’ll be starting biologic adalimumab in few weeks (waiting for appointment). Between each medication I’ve had to wait 3-6 weeks for appointment and had flare ups, when it got too bad I was given short course of steroid tablets to help. If it gets too bad you could ask RA nurse and I’m sure they will help you. It’s disheartening and painful but I keep telling myself that we are so lucky to have free healthcare and so many DMARD & bDMARD options. Fingers crossed for you and talk to your healthcare providers if the pain gets too much. (Btw I’ve RA, Osteo & fibro so I feel your pain you’re not alone). Good luck