Avoiding painkillers

Options

I have been living with arthritis for many years. I have had knee surgery and hip and currently awaiting another hip replacement. I have avoided painkillers for many years too by using palmitoylethanolamide (pea) for short. They really use to work for me but now my arthritis is getting worse, it's doesn't seem to be as effective, what other none opioid options have I got?

Thank you

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Kimberley57

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are sorry to hear that your arthritis is getting worse, unfortunately because we are not medically trained on the Helpline we cannot suggest or recommend another drug that could help with your condition.

Possibly talking to your GP for a medication review or steroid injection could help, steroid injections work by reducing the inflammation so this can help to reduce the pain. Speaking to a pharmacist who can also advise on treatments that are available over the counter that can hopefully reduce the pain you are experiencing. Other treatments you could look into would be a referral to see a Physiotherapist as exercise is a very important part of managing arthritis, it helps to build the muscles in the joints and help with the stiffness.

Hydrotherapy is another treatment that is often used for arthritis of the hip, which involves special exercises that you do in a warm-water pool. The water temperature is usually 33–36ºC, which is warmer than a typical swimming pool. The warmth of the water allows your muscles to relax and eases the pain in your joints, helping you to exercise.

Self-management techniques include using complementary and alternative medicines, heat packs, ice packs, hot baths, or showers to relieve stiffness and pain, 

Best wishes

Chris (Helpline Advisor)