What if NSAID's don't work

Options
cox1058
cox1058 Member Posts: 18
edited 11. Mar 2024, 11:42 in Living with arthritis

Has anyone else tried various NSAID's and found they just don't work?

I'm wondering what else I can my Dr to try...I'd like some ideas, as their suggestion was paracetamol only initially which I may as well not bother with as it does nothing.

I've got co-codamol which does take the edge off, but I feel like a zombie when I've taken 2 - one does nothing but when I take 2, I feel like I've had a heavy drinking session which isn't ideal when I have to work...

I've had Naproxen and Etoricoxib but had no pain relief with either...

Any suggestions really appreciated please - thank you...

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hello @cox1058 I know what you mean (though I do take co-codomol which helps) about Naproxen. They do not help me much though I think you have to take them regularly to have an effect. I used to prefer diclofenac but I can't get them prescribed anymore. They did use to work for me.

• cox1058
    cox1058 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi @Loggiemod yes, someone else said that Diclofenac are good but like you, when I asked they said they are not prescribed. In terms of painkillers, someone suggested I ask for Tramadol but they won't prescribe that where I live either. I have asked for some more Etoricoxib as I believe that to be not as harsh on the stomach as Naproxen - as much as I feel they don't help, when I stop taking anything, a few days later I am in agony, so I guess they do help - I just expect too much and think I will be pain free when I'm taking something, and clearly that's not going to be the case

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @cox1058,

In terms of what a GP can prescribe, the list is a short one I'm afraid. There are other NSAID alternatives to Naproxen if it is disagreeable but the thing to remember is whichever one you're on, it's only designed to deal with inflammation and it's symptoms, not pain and stiffness as such. If it's relief from bone-on-bone pain you're seeking then you're on the right track with Co-Codemol and Tramadol but many GPs won't prescribe them.

There are of course plenty of natural supplements to experiment instead of NSAIDs but my guess is that if Naproxen ain't cutting it, they won't either. I was on a full spectrum CBD capsule for my pain which helped but no more so than the over the counter Co-Codemol I was taking. I tried lots of gels and ointments, effective in the early stages of my OA but not as it progessed. This kind of leaves 3 options: alternative therapies such as Acupuncure (I have it and for me it was a game-changer) and hydrotherapy and aromatherapy, pain relief aids such as TENS machines (which can work for on the spot relief which can last a few hours), a deep tissue massaging gun for muscle and tendon pain and physio/exercise designed to strengthen the areas around affected joints, etc. I found the latter ultimately provided the best pain relief for my knees but it took very effective pain management to do the amount needed to make a noticeable difference in lifting my pain levels.