Amitriptyline and co-codamol

Options

I've just been put on co-codamol after amitriptyline didn't help with the pain, but it worked well as an antidepressant. Is it safe to take both? If not what's the best way go get off amitriptyline without getting horrendous withdraws?

:)

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @alex_gideon

When coming off of any drug it needs to be done slowly. I usually reduce my daily dose by one a day then take another one off so, if you're taking 8 of them a day go down to 7 then two weeks later down to 6. It's a long job but better to be safe than sorry. Even better, ask your GP. It may be that you're on a higher strength pill that also needs to be reduced in strength :)

trish

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hello @alex_gideon and welcome to the online community,

I’ve posted a link below from the Versus Arthritis website that gives some detailed information about Amitriptyline- I hope you find it useful. As suggested by @Trish9556, you should really talk to your GP before changing your dosage, as it can cause side effects. Additionally, you should talk to your GP or rheumatologist if you want to take other painkillers with the medication as it can have adverse effects.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm