Sulfasalazine side effects

Options

Hi , I'm Kelly I have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was on Sulfasalazine for a month, building the dose gradually, thought it was great, felt far more mobile. Then at my 4 week blood test the rheumatoid nurse rang to tell me to stop taking it and to go to A&E if I feel at all unwell, also to go for another blood test in a couple of days time. This was all the information she gave me. So I carried on as normal went to work, went shopping. Started to get a sore throat so when I went for my blood test a couple of days later; I went to A&E. After 4 hours in A&E sitting near a very poorly person throwing up and another visibly ill person with a temperature, I was seen by a doctor and told my white blood cell count had dropped to 1.1!!! I had no idea it had dropped so low... normal range is between 4 and 11. Really disappointed, Sulfasalazine was working so well, very angry I wasn't told how dangerously low my cell count had dropped and really worried about trying another medication..

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @MKelly50_ and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear your concerns about sulfasalazine and side affects. Did your doctor/consultant advise you of side affects or even prescribe alternative medication for the future??

The following link may help but I would suggest you contact your doctor for second opinion??

Please keep posting I am sure others with similar concerns will connect with you soon.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• johanna44_
    Options

I was also on sulfasalazine now I’ve been told to stop due to low immune system

The pains are back my wrists knees and other joints hurts real bad especially in the morning,I’m really tired of feeling like this

I just had a baby this is so hard for me

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

When I was on it, it was horrible. I went yellow and had the taste of metal in my mouth. My nurse-practioner told me to come off it slowly. Methotrexate was much better but there can be side-effects on the liver. All medication seems to have some sort of side-effect. I suppose its a case of finding what suits you with advice from rhumatology.

Good luck.

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Did you have to have any treatment other than stopping it