Should we get regular scans for worsening symptoms?

Options

Hi, I was diagnosed with OA in hips in my early 40’s and in my knees a few years ago. It’s taken till 48 to be approved for hip replacement that should happen in the summer, my issue is that now they’ve put me on the list no one seems to care about the other hip and knees.

im worried that I’ll have a hip replacement and because the knee is so bad on the same side that I still won’t be able to make much improvement.

Ive asked for an up to date scan on my knees but keep getting told nothing can be done until after the hip surgery and up my medications. Seems they are happy to give me addictive drugs but no real answers. It’s just frustrating

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @JaneH welcome to the online community

Dealing with life with arthritis is frustrating enough at times especially when your medical team is not considering you as a whole person. Many of us in the community will agree that whilst repairing one hip will be very beneficial the rest of the aching joints need to be taken into account. Some people have both hips replaced at the same time but that is unusual. You may find that once one hip is replaced the strain on your knees and other hip is reduced.

If you have not seen some of our members daily diaries following a THR then follow the links below where is a great deal of helpful advice shared.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

I have included the exercise video link because many of us have found that the more strength and flexibility we can retain in our muscles pre surgery the better we all have progressed post operation. Exercise can also help with pain relief but if you have more questions about pain management, please don't hesitate to post again.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

I do understand your concern. I have an old THR ànd, below it, an even older TKR. Despite both having slid out of place, àll the pain was in the knee. But my orthopaedic surgeon, at a top teaching hospitàl, told me nothing could be done with the knee until the hip was fixed.

So, essentially, it doesn't matter how bad the knee gets until your hip is replaced. They don't do hips and knees together ànd many hospitals no longer offer 'doubles'.

Keep doing your hip and knee exercises to strengthen them for what is to come. Take pain relief as and when necessary. Not too long to go now.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright