Unusual hip symptoms

Options

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the hip.

However, I have been told my symptoms are atypical and wondered if anyone else has the same: I get pain sitting, getting up from a sitting position, driving and lying in bed at night. Conversely I am able to walk reasonable distances without pain.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

I'm sure I've heard this before, but I am not a hip-person

there are loads on here though as you have probably already spotted many having had surgery.

I am going to link some in here in the hope they can maybe help:

@Janlyn @JPT (sorry hope this isn't too much for you having so recently had surgery) @Nurina @swimmer60 there really are many more hopefully someone will get back to you soon who knows more than me.

Take care and best of luck

Toni x

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 281
    Options

I don't know who told you that your symptoms are atypical because they aren't. There isn't typical pain. We all have different pains in different places. Sometimes there isn't groin pain but it radiates to the back or knees. I didn't have pain sitting or sleeping but I couldn't walk or drive. The pain when you stand after being sat for a while is very typical.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 348
    Options

@shortlorraine as @Nurina says there really aren't typical symptoms. I could sit and drive fairly comfortably but I was in a lot of pain walking, even short distances. And getting up from sitting was extremely painful and difficult. I was also extremely uncomfortable sleeping and my GP told me that it was one of the signals they watched for to decide whether a replacement was likely to be necessary.

Who told you that yours was atypical? Have you a plan/treatment/exercises?

Take care, x

• shortlorraine
    Options

I was given exercises by the physio. It was an acquaintance who is aGP who told me my symptoms were atypical because I can walk, they were worried there was something else wrong (bursitis?). My x ray shows osteoarthritis

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 348
    Options

@shortlorraine I hope your exercises help. Maybe your GP acquaintance may have only seen people struggling to walk with osteoarthritis. I was told by my GP that everyone is different. Some X-rays looked as thought there would be lots of pain and there wasn't and vice versa. With me my muscles, and lack of use of them, caused all sorts of complications and pains that I didn't know about until a physio explained.

Take care.