Sitting with arthritic hip

Options

I'm waiting for my second hip replacement and have trouble sitting comfortably. It's worse than I remember from the previous hip. I've tried a coccyx cushion which didn't help. I have a memory foam wedge from Putnams which helps a bit but is too firm and makes my sitting bones (ischial tuberosities) uncomfortable, as does my recliner. By the end of the day my bum is as sore as the hip. I was thinking about getting a piece of memory foam to put in the recliner. The house is filling up with discarded cushions of various sorts. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Crookrise

I've given up on cushions and pillows, apart from the one between my legs when I sleep

When it's impossible to get comfy sitting in my armchair I either move to my dining chair or crash on the sofa lying on my better side, or on the floor on my better side with a pillow between my legs. The latter is frowned upon but I don't care. Its comfy. To get up from the floor I roll onto my front, up to a crowling position and get to a chair where I drag myself up.

Trish xx

• Crookrise
    Crookrise Member Posts: 18
    Options

Thanks Trish. Unfortunately it's the dining chair that's worst. The other solutions work but it's difficult to work lying on my side.

• Crookrise
    Crookrise Member Posts: 18
    Options

My lovely husband seems to have solved my problem. Because the wedge cushion was so uncomfortable I thought "why not tilt the whole chair". So he has chiselled out a couple of slots in a piece of spare wood which I can put the back legs of the dining chair into. It gives Just the right angle of slope. I do need to be very careful not to lift the legs out while I'm pulling up to the table so it wouldn't

pass the health and safety inspector.