Psa

Options
Sadielady
Sadielady Member Posts: 2
edited 17. Mar 2024, 17:28 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Can you have PSA as well as sero-negative arthritis, and osteoArthritis? First I was told I have osteoArthritis, then sero-negative was on blood works, then psa. Tyi x

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Sadielady

I was diagnosed with PsA in late 2020. Shortly after I was first diagnosed I was admitted to hospital 6 times in the following 12 months with pneumonia, heart issues and inflammatory arthritis symptoms. It was a different hospital than the one my rheumatology clinic is in so I was seen by probably 10 other rheumatologists. I had a variety of possible alternative arthritis diagnoses by these doctors - from gout, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. I suppose it's difficult to be definitive if the RA and CCP antibodies blood markers are not raised - leading to the term sero-negative. I remember reading that there are over 100 types of arthritis. From what I understand my PsA diagnosis was based on swollen joints, very high CRP levels, MRI, xray and ultrasound tests and the fact that I and my family have a history of psoriasis. But I do wonder sometimes about reactive arthritis as 6 months before diagnosis I'd probably had covid and then suffered a series of chest infections - leading to pneumonia. It doesn't seem like an exact science.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@Sadielady

Thanks for your post to the Helpline.

It's not uncommon to have Osteoarthritis (OA) (wearing and repairing) and other forms of arthritis together.

During a process of diagnosis Rheumatology may be fairly certain that there may be an auto-immune inflammatory arthritis affecting you. For example if when they do ultrasounds or MRIs if they see a particular kind of inflammation. However some of the inflammatory arthritis conditions are not so helpful when it comes to blood results. Some examples are Psoriatic arthritis (PsA), Sero-negative arthritis, Reactive arthritis.

You may want to ask your Rheumatology team if the diagnosis of PsA has taken over from that of Sero-negative Inflammatory arthritis.

Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Psoriatic arthritis | Psoriatic arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

I do hope that's helpful.

Guy - Helpline Team

• MaxA17
    MaxA17 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, Newbie here! I was diagnosed with PsA and Osteoarthritis together in 2022. I'm currently off work with chronic fatigue. Does anyone else find it so debilitating and any recommendations??

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@MaxA17

Thanks for you post to the Helpline. If you are wanting peer input you might find post on the Living with arthritis thread.

Managing fatigue | Causes, self-help, support (versusarthritis.org)

As you've mentioned chronic fatigue I wonder if Fibromyalgia might be worth asking about with your Rheumatology Team?

This is not an easy subject, so seeking support around self-manging is a positive thing. And the literature talks about trying to include regular amounts of moderate movement into daily routines and follow guidance on healthy eating and regular sleep patterns.

I hope that's helpful

Guy - Helpline Team

• MaxA17
    MaxA17 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My GP dismissed it, but might mention to my Rheumo team next time I'm in and especially if I don't feel any better. They have also put me on a high dose of Vitamin D for 6 weeks. Apparently my number was 23 and most people's levels should be between 50-200! Always worth a check!