Hi

Options

I've just joined as have had RA for many years although it is well controlled and not a huge problem. However I got a medication injury related to a common prescription medication 6 years ago and have kidney failure. A very rare occurrence but definitely life impacting. It's not so bad though just means making the most of every day. I did give in a year ago and bought an off road mobility scooter. I can walk without any issue, my mobility is good as long as I can get a break to regain energy every now and again and in a shopping centre that's easy ! on a nature reserve not so. And so finally I accepted after 30 years of RA and 6 of CKD that it was going to mean a few changes to keep an active lifestyle going. I'm ex Local Government Recovery and Benefits Manager as RA never impacted on my career and now I enjoy my retirement by bird watching, baking, babysitting and shopping. I swim and garden and wouldn't find time now to go to work. I'm lucky as every day is a bonus as 6 years ago it didn't look like there would be a tomorrow never mind planning for next year.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi @Potholes and welcome to the online community,

That’s an interesting list of hobbies, and it’s great to hear how positive you are living with such a variety of health conditions. I see you’ve posted in Val’s Cafe, where I am sure you will be welcomed warmly by other members - it’s a great place to chat, share what’s going on in your life, and support one another.

If you want to ask any questions about living with arthritis to hear from other members’ experiences, you might also like to have a look at the Living with Arthritis forum at https://community.versusarthritis.org/categories/living-with-arthritis-forum and join in any conversations where you feel comfortable.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options

Hi @Potholes

Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum!

Just bad luck getting kidney disease on top of your RA😕 You have my sympathy my brother has IGA nephropathy so I know the limitations.

I liked your name too - you must live near me😂

Anyway I hope you'll join in and chat with us all. Everyone is very welcoming so just join in I suspect having had RA a while you can help others a fair bit.

Take care

Toni x