Feeling a bit confused...

Options

Hi, everyone. Just looking for a bit of advice really. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands and wrist last October following a blood test (to rule out other things) and X-rays. I also have similar pain flare ups in my hips, knees and big toe joints, which I mentioned at the same time. Is it common to only have had X-rays of my hands at this point? I'm not sure whether to go back to my GP and ask for confirmation of the other joints and whether or not that would be helpful in the future. Thanks. T.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @tbarnes welcome to the online community

We are a friendly group here to support everyone who is affected by living with arthritis. Since you mentioned similar pain in multiple joints to your GP it does seem confusing that only your hands and wrists were singled out for an xray. Having an assessment done now will be advantageous so that a comparison can be made in the future of any progress or deterioration of your condition. It will also act as a measure against which any advice about treatment and /or medication can be given.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful about OA and about pain management

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Do look round the community, there loads of discussions and tips or drop into Vals Cafe for a chat .

Let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• poppyflower
    Options

Good evening

So sorry your in so much pain 😢

I had a similar thing as you with regards xrays, they only seem to do them one at a time , I said wouldn't it be better to have a whole body xray being as all my joints are bad ! But they didn't.

Very frustrating isn't it 😕

But yes I would get in touch with GP and tell them about all your other joints and hopefully they will even if its one at a time as they will be useful to compare at a later date.

Are you on any medication for it ?

Take care hope you get on OK

Poppy xx

• tbarnes
    tbarnes Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks, both of you. That's really helpful advice. I am seeing my GP in a couple of weeks so I'll raise it with them then and see how it goes. I am trying to stay with mild painkillers during flare ups as anti-inflammatory drugs + omeprazole really don't suit me. I'm seeing a herbalist too, in the hope that something more natural and gentle may help.

Thanks again for your help.

Tx