Hi Community Palindromic Arthritis

Options
IbB511001
IbB511001 Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Mar 2024, 11:59 in Living with arthritis

I have recently had a diagnosis of Palindromic Arthritis that affects various joints, principally places I have old injuries from rugby!, and my breathing. This came about following a bout of COVID although it has never been directly linked.

I am new to all of this and looking for advice and to share experience.

I am 64 and working, although I have recently cut my days to three a week. Any links

and advice welcome.

regards Ian

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @IbB511001

Ian I don't have any knowledge or advice I can give regarding Palindromic Rheumatism but having read this and your other recent post I was struck by the similarities with me. It's reckoned by medics that I had covid in March 2020 aged 64 and then suffered about 10 chest infections in the following 12 months - including 3 bouts of pneumonia. In September 2020 my left knee ballooned up and by October I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis - I'd had psoriasis since the age of 15. There are quite a few peer reviewed medical papers that link covid and inflammatory arthritis. I suppose since both involve your immune system that's logical.

One piece of advice I would offer is don't be a passenger in your treatment - you need to be as assertive as you can be. I'd never had a chronic illness before this and just assumed everything would click into place regarding my treatment. Sadly that wasn't the case initially - though it's far better now.

I hope you get the treatment you need quickly.

• SNapCrackle_Pop
    Options

Hi I'm also an arthritis suffer who had also covid first. I had severe covid pneumonitis and flu A in 2022, this triggered severe joint pain and I ended up very recently with a firm diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2024. I'm 40. My life has been turned upside down. Every single day is painful and tiring. I'm trying different treatments now working through DMARDS and I'm onto Methotrexate currently. I depend heavily on regular steroid injections. My Rheumatologist is absolutely awesome, I'm very fortunate. I'm hoping to get more of my life back. I'm slowly starting to see more of myself again and learning to pace myselfand take each day as it comes. I agree with JamieA that being proactive in your care is essential. Don't be afraid to speak up and say you're in pain and you need a review. Hope all goes well for you.

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Morning @IbB511001 and welcome to the online community.

I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis last year.

I like you was quite surprised by diagnosis but a year on and with exercises and medication I am learning to live with the condition. I was really advised OA in elbows which completely through me as was just adjusting to life with PRA 🤷‍♂️

I was put on Hydroxychloroquine once a day then increased to twice a day. Had several steroid injections when flare ups occur🤦‍♂️

I have been on pain management courses and try to keep moving (slowly) as I feel it helps me.

The following link maybe of help to.....

Good luck and keep posting @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm