Help

Options

Hi all, really need some advice, for about 5 weeks now I have had worsening pain in the joint of the big toe, to the extent that I have to walk with my foot to one side as I can't put pressure on the toe, as of today it took 2 paracetamol, 2 nurofen and 2 cocodamol to numb the pain, obviously I cannot continue taking that amount of tablets, had a clinic visit on Tuesday bloods and new xrays done but no feedback as yet, gout has been ruled out already, not convinced it rheumatoid as its too consistent, therefore I'm thinking osteoarthritis, but whether that's just it I don't know, can anyone recommend a combo of painkillers I can take on a regular basis, pain is basically a constant throb with a electric shock shooting pain every so often, any advice would be appreciated as it is making me cry now it's so painful

Thanks all.

Tracey

Comments

• poppyflower
    Options

Hi Tracey

Aww that sounds so painful , have you tried ice packs on your toe ? It may help a little ? I would try and speak to your Dr and see what else they can give you , as your taking quite a bit already.

Sorry can't give you much help but I really hope you get some relief soon.

Take it easy hope you get on OK

Poppy xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 26. Mar 2024, 09:21
    Options

Have you tried ice @Tray ?

Or does heat help more?

I am so sorry it sounds very uncomfortable and debilitating too. Have they not x-rayed it yet? Honestly!

We can't really recommend any medication but anything on top of what you've already got is likely to be prescription only anyway.

Take care and be persistent with your Dr ((()))

Toni

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

Did you take paracetamol and cocodamol together?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Hopefully she meant over a whole day and not at the same time Emma I must say l worried a bit too about that.

Toni x

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

Wheat pads? A pain relief rub like voltarol?

• Tray
    Tray Member Posts: 14
    Options

Didn't take them together but on the same day, been told by podiatry that it is an osteo flare, gets better when I don't walk on it but then you think oh its better and try and do normal walking, but... Then the pain starts again, only managed an hour back at work (shop worker) then had to go home, been off 6 days now, Dr's appointment today to see what they can do to help.