Rheumatoid arthritis flare up in the knee

Options

Hi All

Looking for some advice from fellow rheumatoid arthritis sufferers.

I'm 36, had rheumatoid arthritis all my life maininly in knees and wrists.

Currently take sulfasalazine twice a day, however had a flare up in the knee so now taking omerprazole and naproxen to try manage the flare up. Also trying to rest and use hot/cold compress.

This appears to be helping with the pain however not really making much difference to the swelling.

Any advice guidance would be much appreciated 👏

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Sounds like a nasty flare you're having @Chery102

The only other thing I tend to do is elevate the joint but really you're doing everything I would do.

If you've had RA for such a long time I suppose it's possible the joint has maybe even got some OA in it now??? Quite a few of us end up with both over time. I think if it persists I'd be asking for some imaging if it was me.

Max length of a flare for me personally has only ever been about 6 weeks with gradual improvement in that time.

Take care. Feet up! ((()))

Toni xx

• Chery102
    Chery102 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for your message, much appreciated, glad to here I am doing the right things.

It's just happened when I have taken a week off work so not able to enjoy my time off as having to rest with my leg elevated majority of the time.

I'll defo keep an eye on it and hopefully the naproxen and rest will clear up the flare up. Will look at asking for imagine on it.

Thanks