Methotrexate fatigue help.

Options
Josiec29
Josiec29 Member Posts: 1
edited 27. Mar 2024, 20:36 in Living with arthritis

I've recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis. I'm on week 2 of taking methotrexate and really struggling with fatigue. I have a 6 month baby and a 3 year old who I look after alone. I already take folic acid 6 days a week.

Does anyone have tips on how to manage fatigue through diet/exercise /alternative medicines? I don't have the option to rest/sleep more than I already do really with my current circumstances, there is noone that can help with childcare.

I'm so fatigued I feel almost fluey with aching muscles and total emptiness of energy!

Do side effects improve over time? Or do they return with each dose?

Struggling to cope, not sure I can handle this every week. 😭

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I don't wonder you're struggling to cope. My sons were / are spaced more or less the same. I think one learns as one goes along. I recall horrifying my mother-in-law by picking up the baby by folding him over my forearm. When he slept, I slept. My neighbour kindly took his brother to nursery with her own kids.

The fatigue could be from the meth but, I think, is more likely to be from the PsA being uncontrolled as yet. Meth càn take up to 3 months to work.

Diet? Just eat as healthily as possible. Exercise? Range of movement only while flaring. Altèrnàtive meds? Not without checking with your pharmacist that they won't clash with prescribed ones

Ring your Rheumatology Helplinè. They might suggest a steroid jab to tide you over until the meth works.

Frankly, I think you're doing a great job if you're alone with this. Be proud of yourself.And make things as easy as possible for yourself.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

If you can get a little help from a family member or friend. It’s hard enough struggling with Arthritis, let alone a young family. Just pace yourself. Don’t worry about housework too much, it isn’t going anywhere.

pits easy with little ones to eat properly, and drink enough. Try to eat regularly and as healthy as you can.

I can remember when mine were little, I’d often skip meals, because I thought other things like a clean house were more important.As sticky has said call your Arthritis team for support.

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Josiec29 and welcome to our online forum. I am glad that two of our members have already responded to you, and given you some suggestions. Hopefully there will be more as well!

I am posting a link to some information on our website which may give you some added insight into the condition:

Do keep posting and keep in touch.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hang on in there I found after about 6 weeks the fatigue eased do you take it in the evening? Found about 24 hours after fatigue worse try and get help if you can pinpoint timing. Do you have nursery for 3 Yr old

• KPez09
    KPez09 Member Posts: 23
    Options

I'm now 3 months into mtx with psoriatic arthritis. I'm very lucky that my youngest daughter is 18. Keep doing the fantastic job you are, and celebrate the little things, ie children are fed and happy and made it through another day 😊 I feel really wiped out the day after taking mtx. I don't make any plans for that day. I make sure I spread out chores through the week and all the big stuff is done a day or 2 before. I've found if I avoid to much gluten heavy food I feel less fatigue.