Managing pain

Options

I have osteoarthritis in knees, feet and both shoulders. I am 75 and now find walking very challenging because of pain, and stiffness. I take one Naproxen in the morning but its not really effective after many years now. Paracetamol doesn't reduce pain. My GP has now given me a trial of Co Codamol 30/500 for when I need to manage walking eg when I visit grandchildren. They do work but I'm very wary and taking them occasionally because of addictive properties. I also manage diverticular disease which so cant risk constipation. Is anyone using more effective, safe pain relief?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Minty

I also have diverticulitis and have, in the past and currently, had many different medications that also cause constipation. I have found that if I'm taking something regularly, like cocodamol daily, then my body adjusts to it but I also add in the soft ready to eat prunes with lots of water/squash to drink helps considerably. Take the prunes in the morning with breakfast. Dark chocolate also helps.

I'm all for taking whatever gives me most relief from my osteoarthritis pains and adjust everything else around it.

Trish

• Minty
    Minty Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks Trish. I do well with the diverticular disease by taking magnesium citrate supplement after eating at night and taking pre and probiotics. Just didn't want to rock the boat re effects of codeine but also now really need reliable pain relief when going out and about. Like you, the pain relief is now a priority.

• alwayssewing
    alwayssewing Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hello @Minty I don't have diverticulitus but do take 2-4 250g naproxen a day (one or two in a morning and same at night) I also take 30mg codeine which I now vary dosage depending how much pain I am in. I have osteoarthritis in various places but the worst are knees and hips. I had my first hip replacement just over 8 weeks ago and will have the other done in 2 weeks time. I was told I could take two codeine at a time after the operation which I did for the first week but I hate what it does to my head so I just started taking two before bed and one if I woke in pain later in the night, during the day I take one if I need to. As you can imagine this has the knock on effect of constipation and I was given lactulose from the hospital and my GP but I only take 15-30ml at night because their dosage caused problems the opposite way. Instead I carried on taking a heaped teaspoon of phsyllium husk powder in a glass of water or juice in the morning which I started when first prescribed codeine last year. It smells a bit funny (like mushrooms) but doesn't really taste of anything. It is still a little lumpy when I drink it but can't be bothered with the stick blender and it is soft, easy to swallow. Just drink it straight away or it turns to jelly in a short while, which is what it is meant to do, it is very gentle and works well. There may be initial effects which I never got, it is worth looking it up. I buy mine on amazon, a bag lasts quite a while. You could try a small bag first if you want to give it a go. I am 68 by the way. Don't forget to have plenty of fluids during the day too.