Young person suffering with RA

Options

hi, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis is august of last year, I’m in my final year at uni studying a BSc and to say it’s been a battle is a understatement. My pain is serve almost all of the time, I was on an 8 week prednisolone treatment which worked for the pain however I’ve come off it now and the severe pain is back, particularly in my feet. I’m waiting to be started on methotrexate, but it just feels like a never ending battle. I was wondering if someone could share what they find useful for pain management or if there is anything people find triggers their flares/ pain.
many thanks

Comments

• SNapCrackle_Pop
    SNapCrackle_Pop Member Posts: 3
    edited 1. Apr 2024, 22:58
    Options

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    edited 2. Apr 2024, 06:21
    Options

Good morning @emilyjanew

Not the easiest time to be diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when you are in the final year of your degree. I hope you have a supportive group of friends around you.

I wonder whether this might be of interest to you? Specifically the section titled 'University':

I hope you will be starting on your methotrexate (MTX) very soon.

I'll leave you now to meet our members and hear their advice/tips.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Hi @emilyjanew nice to meet you.

I also hope you'll be starting your MTX very soon. Often initial steroids are given up to the point of starting treatment it's a shame you are going 'without' just now. I presume you do have pain relief? Anti-inflammatories too available? If not do ask your GP for something to help. I have tried all sorts over the years from paracetamol to tramadol ibuprofen to morphine patches. All help to an extent and all have had their side effects too. Have you tried ice packs for your feet at all?

Unfortunately the start does often seem like an uphill battle, but hopefully the MTX will help you a lot loads of us here take it.

I am not convinced I can trigger a flare, but I do try to eat healthily (I personally am vegan, but that is for moral reasons not my health) eating as many different fruits an veggies as possible for keep my gut microbiome healthy.

Getting enough rest is definitely helpful. If possible do try to factor rest into your days. I also walk every day, but that might be a lot to expect for you just now given that you aren't on treatment and your feet are so sore.

Hopefully someone else might have some other suggestions to help.

Take care

Toni x