Waiting for a Hip Replacement - looking for advice

Hello my name is Tan!

Im 41 and have lived with Arthritis in my hip for nearly 20 years. I'm a single parent to two teenage boys.

Im currently on the waiting list to have a hip replacement. I'm looking to find support, advice and any tips on how to manage chronic pain. I work full time and over the past two years it's become more and more difficult to do my job. I'm an active and positive person but recently it's becoming a struggle to block out the pain.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 739

@Tan,

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have arthritis in your hip and await a replacement. In the interim you’d like to receive input from forum members who can offer advice as regards pain management. Well, you’ve definitely come to the right place to ask for advice.

Whilst you await some feedback, this link may be informative :

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

You may also find this very recent discussion useful to read/join:

I hope that you don’t have to wait to long for you operation.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• kking93
    kking93 Member Posts: 13

Hi Tan,

I hope you’re okay! I had a left hip replacement back in May 2022. Due to the perthies disease decaying my hips I actually gained 3cm on my leg after the op which for a short period of time was incredibly painful because of all the stretching of my skin/muscles and nerve endings.
    Even so my point is it’s the best thing I ever had done I know it seems dull and bleak at the moment, the continues wait, but persevere and it will come good. Do you mind me asking how long you have been on the waiting list? I was under the RNOH north London and the waiting list there has been anything from 4 months - 9 months