NHS clinics/support available

Options

Before anyone thinks i am anti-NHS, i am not! i am a nurse. One who is "semi-retired" and still working, albeit occasionally on the Nurse bank. Gaining access to outreach clinics, or even information on what is available, out there for Arthritis suffers. Even for me is a major task these days. Some clinics, supported networks and community assistance. Has either closed, relocated further away or is not advertised well enough throughout the area. Gp's are either not aware of or don't know how, to refer you onto such support networks. Or am i just being harsh? Because of pain and frustration.👨‍🔬

Comments

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

The whole system is a mess, both nhs and even private isn't great. It's a big eye opener to see the health care from a patients perspective . The past 3 yrs have been terrible

• distantshores
    Options

Agree the whole system is a mess and falling apart. I don't think you are being too harsh. More and more people are turning to private treatment which is very expensive. Getting an appointment with a GP is now a real battle and the whole system seems to be geared to keeping patients away from the surgery (at least in my area). I have resorted to private treatment for some things but paying for a hip replacement is out of the question.

On a recent holiday in the Canaries I developed conjunctivitis due to the dust in the wind. I took my EHIC card up to the medical centre and before I had been given my passport back (receptionist had to fill in form) I was called in to see a nurse who took my blood pressure, looked at my eyes and said I needed to see a doctor so I went back out into the waiting area. I waited less than 5 mins to see the doctor who gave me a prescription which I took to the pharmacy where I paid 1,20 euros!

I am now thinking it might easier to go abroad to get things done.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I've spend loads in the private sector to and its also not that good. Its the same knackered consultants who work in the nhs seeing you . They are also not protected by their PALS team so even more wary of treating you. ( my exp anyway)

The system set up and the culture within certain departments I feel is the problem.