Managing increased pain. Exercise and/or rest?!

Options

I have worsening osteoarthritis in knees, feet and left shoulder. I've lived with the pain and stiffness for a long time but I'm 75 now and it seems to be getting much worse. I live alone so have to do home and garden stuff and I also travel to see family and grandchildren. I try to do 40 minute sessions in the gym about three times a week but walking any distance is very painful now and I use a stick more and more. The rest of my body hurts with the effort of any movement other than the minimum around the house. I have no idea of when I'm trying to do too much or when/how much I should rest. I also have insomnia so try to avoid sitting or lying down much in the day. I think I've been in denial of how bad it is and how I should be adapting my life to the condition. Any perspectives from others?

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Morning Minty

I live by doing what I can when I can and how I can…..

Feel better for doing a bit than nothing at all but all in moderation.

Have to to say you seem to do a lot and I congratulate you on your achievements so far.

Maybe seek expert advice for guidance ??

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Minty
    Minty Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you. I think I've been a bit in denial of how much the pain and impaired mobility affects me and I'm scared to stop and rest in case I don't get up again. Need to think it through..

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 361
    Options

@Minty Oh, I do sympathise. Once you are in pain everything is so much harder and more tiring, and running a house alone isn't easy. Until I had my hip replaced I felt as though I was failing in all respects. Have you seen your local MSK clinic? It would be useful to get a professional assessment with appropriate exercises tailored to you, rather than just trying to exercise, you may well be overdoing it or not doing the right exercises. Have you a local Escape Pain course you can go on? I went on one at my local medical practice and not only found it helpful but met people with similar problems and we could exchange tips.

My instinct is that little and often with rest in between is usually best but since I had my hip replaced I realise much of my pain had been coming from walking awkwardly to avoid pain but that was causing it elsewhere and also some of my muscles weren't getting worked properly and I'm now having to try to recover them.

Take care and best wishes