Bloods have shown RA, waiting for rheumatology app supposed to be urgent but still waitingšŸ˜¢

Options

Hi all, Iā€™ve been suffering for a few years with chronic fatigue, joint pain, dry eyes, mouth, got told by rheumatology it is carpel tunnel, fibromyalgia, OA ,Depression, they took X-rays bloods everything, and she told me all of above gave me anti depressants, then after going to gp numerous times again, another blood test showed kidneys, esr, ra factor bone, all abnormal with others abnormal, been suffering more last few days now rash on thumb joint, and canā€™t even squeeze shower gel or open milk, been quite bad today dr said heā€™s put it through urgent still waiting but now Iā€™ve no confidence in rheumatologist at my hospital as they thought it was depression, and now I feel that Iā€™ve deteriorated a lot because Iā€™ve not been treated correctly, or believed, this has only added bad anxiety stress and so down as Iā€™m not going mad and need this diagnosed , I also suffered a major stroke in 2010, so they seem to assume it was my mindset which has nothing to do with what Iā€™ve been through. I have no trust in rheumatology anyone had this happen upon diagnosis? My question is did the rheumatology diagnose you or gp with the bloods, I need to know what Iā€™m dealing with, as I feel so low since . Thanks for reading

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 405
    Options

I sympathise @Walter I can't feel exactly the same way as yourself, but I know some things are in our control. It pays to know the things that wear us out the most. Even then it takes time to fix so hang in there.

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @Walter and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear your concerns about new diagnosis.

I like you was in severe pain and not knowing what it was this time last year was very confused and depressed. I went from doctors first then to hospital consultant who diagnosed me through blood tests with RA.

I was given steroid injections and put on hydroxychloroquine straight away. I see consultant every 12 weeks but call nurses if flare ups happen and given steroid injections to help with pain.

I am very persistent and do insist on help and support so recommend you do the same.

The following links maybe of interestā€¦..

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/

Please keep posting I am sure others will connect with you soon.

Best wishes and you are not alone @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Walter
    Walter Member Posts: 4
    Options

hi @Naomi33

Thankyou for replying, I was made to feel like I was going mad, Iā€™m hoping my appointment comes soon toget the help I need x

• Walter
    Options

Iā€™m slowly getting to know even before bloods what triggers my pain and fatigue, sugar being one and pushing myself doing things I used to do quickly by pacing myself itā€™s good to finally know whatā€™s causing all this but I need help with medication, hoping that it makes me feel a lot betteršŸ‘šŸ»once I get rheumatology app I can get medication hopefully

• Katharined
    Katharined Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Walter, Iā€™m really sorry to hear about your experience it sounds very frustrating. Iā€™m Katharine, 52 and Iā€™ve been unwell for about a year and a half and have recently been diagnosed with early RA. (Although looking back I think some symptoms have been around for a number of years). I havenā€™t had big swollen joints but some swelling in fingers, wrist problems and stiffness and pain in feet and ankles. Lots of tiredness and feeling unwell all the time. Sometimes in bed most of the day tired. Go through phases of bad sleep disruption at night. Feel the cold easily, sometimes shivery like fever. Problems with dry eyes, blurry, sore. Recurring sinus issues and dry mouth. I also get spasms in my hands, calves and feet (cramps). I have mild hypothyroidism. High anti-CCP test result which was done by my gp. I saw one rheumatologist who was clearly stressed and had no time for me and only seemed to be looking for big swollen joints. Went back to gp and asked for second opinion. My new rheumatologist is really thorough and proactive. At first he said itā€™s not RA but may develop in future. I was taking Etoricoxib an anti-inflammatory for arthritis and I had a steroid injection in January which worked really well. My symptoms came back after 6 weeks or so and following that my consultant has diagnosed early RA and Iā€™m going to start methotrexate and folic acid this week. I feel like itā€™s all such a big unknown thing and I think we know how we feel and we need to be persistent in getting the message across and asking for help. Hope you make some progress soon xx

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 978
    Options

Hi @Katharined ( sorry to hijack your thread @Walter)

Just wanted to give you a warm welcome to the online community- itā€™s great to see youā€™re already joining in conversations. It can take a while to find the medication that suits you with RA, and what works for one, doesnā€™t necessarily work for another. It will take a while for you to start feeling the effects of methotrexate ( up to 12 weeks) but I hope itā€™s the one for you.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Walter
    edited 8. Apr 2024, 18:14
    Options

Thankyou @Katharined

Im hoping my appointment comes soon as Iā€™m getting anxious waiting as worrying itā€™s getting worse ā€¦ like you Iā€™ve had numerous problems not swollen until recently but bones and joints feel achy and like their so weak there going to snap, my dry eyes started back in 2014! From then new symptoms have started but last few months im physically drained , no energy and feel unwell, gone off certain food and only eat small meals now, struggling holding pots and opening things also noticed struggling trying to carry shopping Iā€™m losing my tight gripšŸ˜¢itā€™s so frustrating Iā€™ve been made to feel like 8m a hypochondriac ny certain gps and rheumatologists, Iā€™m not budging now and sticking m6 heels in and getting 5he treatment I need, they gave me steroid tablets a few years ago I felt fantastic ! Was doing loads etc felt 16 again! Iv3 never felt right since them šŸ˜¢, itā€™s terrible how we are treated when we know thereā€™s something not right with our bodies, glad your on the road to getting help I wish you all the b3st x ps yesterday a new symptom the joint of my thumb had a small rashšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø thatā€™s a new one on me I thought not something else nowšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜¢x