Any info please

Options

I woke up on the 28th of Dec with Covid and stiff legs. I it’s taken me until now to go down the GP,blood tests,X-ray road and get referred to a Rheumatologist .

This app is on weds 10th (3 days away)

While I waiting for this appointment I paid to see her privately for an assessment . She diagnosed Re-active arthritis triggered by the Covid virus ,less likely but also possible Rhumatoid,triggered in the same way.

While I was with her she offered me a steroid injection.She said this may knock it on the head altogether or symptoms may return in which case further investigations will be necessary .

The symptoms didn’t go away,there was very minimal improvement and after two weeks were completely back to where they were before I’d had it.

My question is….is this common? Steroid to have virtually no effect ? Will they try further Steroid injections before resorting to DM drugs?

Thanks for any info

Bill

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @billd and welcome to the online community,

Several of our members have developed reactive arthritis triggered by Covid, and although steroids do generally give some temporary relief, everyone is different so the results may not have been as effective in your case.
    It’s good to hear that you’ve finally got an appointment with a rheumatologist. It might help for you to write down all the questions you’d like to ask, plus also all the symptoms that you’ve been experiencing. These things can go right out of your mind when you’re facing the consultant.

You might find the attached link useful - some information about reactive arthritis, symptoms, treatment and ways you can help yourself:

Hope it all goes well at your appointment - do let us know how you get on.

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• billd
    billd Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks Anna

I’ll be sure to let you know. I was just trying to get a little more info from you guys. I’ve had it for 3plus months now and it’s as bad as ever….stiff legs,painful knee caps when walking , it also moved to my wrists a few weeks ago.

Do you think,taking into account the time lines,could it still be re active ? Or is it more likely to be Rheumatoid ?

Also do you think they may offer me more steroid injections ?

Thanks again

Bill

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi Bill @billd ,

It could still be reactive arthritis since symptoms can last between three months to a year. Hopefully the Rheumatologist will be able to confirm one or the other.

As for more steroids, I would think the consultant will discuss with you what you’ve already had and decide with you whether to try them again. I know that they are unlikely to be given more than three times in one year.

Hopefully other members may come along with the benefit of their experience!

Best wishes, Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm