Poorly hands

Options

Don't know what sort of arthritis I have. Doctors just discussed my pain and said that I have arthritis. They told me the only available medication is to take Ibuprofen. Going to the gym helps with my knees and shoulder. However, I am an artist and my hands are the problem. They are so painful abd weak. I struggle to do the things that I enjoy and keep me mentally well. I have squeeze balls and I do stretching excercises, but my grip is very weak. Also I am unable to play my guitar due to the wrist pain. Is this how I am to spend the rest of my life?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

hi @GmG

Unfortunately too many doctors dismiss Arthritis. I phoned our surgery after a week with no sleep with my hip asking for some more pain relief and the head GP at the practice told me "Mrs B, you have Arthritis and must get used to living with pain, there's nothing I can do".

Good job it was a phone appointment!

I have since found another GP at the practice who is compassionate, listens, tells me what his plan is and delivers it so try somebody else at the practice, if not, change surgeries. We do not have to get used to being in pain with Arthritis and it's not al in our heads!!

Do you have any therapy putty? It's like play doh and comes in different strengths. I got mine as a pack of five from an online sellilng site and you start with the softest and work up to the hardest. Just play with it, pull, dig fingers into it, tear it, knead it, twist it etc. It's a good method of getting some strength into your hands.

I would also ask for a referral to a physio and some x-rays. Once you have the referral and the xrays the physio can help you.

good luck

trish xx

• GmG
    GmG Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thankyou, I have seen a physio, she just showed me some hand excercises. She said that was all I could do. I have never heard of therapy putty. Never been offered X-rays, because of this, I don't know what sort of arthritis I have.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

I've just linked you on one of my previous posts

You need to ask for xrays to determine the diagnosis

Also get the therapy putty.

Trish xx