Cortisone injection hip

Options

I have been told by a hip consultant that I have hip dysplasia and will require a hip replacement. He arranged for me to have an injection which I had on Monday. The pain in my my hip has increased the queries I have are: Is it normal to have increased pain initially and how long does it last? Do the injections work?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Norny

I've had two hip injections, one was as much use as a chocolate tea pot and the second worked well for about a month. Yes my pain was initially greater just after I had the injection but eased after a couple of days but we are all different and have different reactions. Try not to do too much while it settles down and often a paracetamol will help.

Trish xx

• Norny
    Norny Member Posts: 28
    Options

Thanks for coming back to me. I am resting up today hoping pain will reduce did you go on to have a hip replacement? There are big waiting times in Northern Ireland so I am hoping It will work and bide me time.

• Trish9556
    Options

hI @Norny

Hopefully I'm having my hip done mid May although I don't have a date yet the surgeon operates on Mondays and sends you home on Thursdays so by my powers of deduction probably the 13th or the 20th due to bank holidays.

I don't know if you have the same system in NI, my physio said she would send me to the hospital with the shortest waiting lists which happened to be a private hospital about 5 miles from me. It's paid for under the NHS Choices scheme so doesn't cost me a penny. Since my first appointment last October I've had three face to face appointments, two xrays on both sides (both hips are bad) and an injection (the one that worked).

I dread to think how long I would've waited on the NHS waiting list here but symptoms started November/December 22 so not too bad I suppose when you consider the length of time I had to wait for an MSK appointment in the first place!

Good Luck

Trish xx

• Norny
    Options

My symtoms started January 2023 back and forward to GP had physio, 6 month wait here for for ortho initial consultation and then referral to hip surgeon which could be another six months went private if want to go ahead with op £13,000 (private) alternatively go on his waiting list 2 years. It used to be you could go to the Republic of Ireland pay up front and get your money back they stopped that. Begrudge having to pay all that money but don't feel can stick pain.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

@Norny hi. I Also have hip dysplasia. I had the steriod inj but it made hip pain worse for 2 weeks and now I'm not better than I was before it. Didn't work for me at all.

Do You need thr asap or can you have pao surgery to postpone it.

Hope ur out of pain soon

• Norny
    Options

@Emmasknackeredjoints back at consultant Tuesday said my right hip worse a lot of cysts he did say he was arranging injection to confirm pain coming from hip as I have had back issues too. I can't walk with it so fed up are you going to get THR?

• Norny
    Options

@Trish9556 can I ask when your first injection did not work did they change your diagnosis? The injection seems to have helped my walking and movement but the pain in my buttock is worse. He said this injection was to confirm diagnosis saying that the MRI shows bad dysplasia and cysts in right hip and I am convinced it is hip and not my back.

• Trish9556
    Options

hi @Norny

My first injection was carried out by the MSK team that our GP surgery have to refer us too and that was last May. Felt nothing when he did it and did absolutely nothing.

The second one at the private hospital the MSK team referrred me to (paid for by NHS) was last November and because it was successful to a degree the surgeon agreed my hip was bad and as a result of having to go back on the morpine patches and tramadol once it wore off said I must have a new hip :)

Trish xx

• Norny
    Options

@Trish9556 my hip feels a bit better tonight I am hoping the consultant will agree I need a hip replacement as it has taken so long to get to this point.

• Trish9556
    Options

hi @Norny

when is your next appointment? Make a note of when the pain eased and when, if any, it started to return and then when you were back to pre injection

Trish xx

• Norny
    Options

@Trish9556 he gave me an appointment for 8 days after injection I think would have been better for longer. He may review me again in a couple of weeks again so will keep a record.

• Norny
    Options

Got my hip injection consultant made an appointment for week after it. At that stage was still feeling pain he said must not be coming from hip as did not go away could be my back causing the problem. So he is not sure whether hip operation is a good idea, despite having grade 3 dysplasia. Now 2 weeks after injection pain in hip nearly away. Has anyone else had pain relief 10 days after injection?

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options

Oh for heavens sake, why don’t medical staff explain things!

The crystals in the drug solution are larger than the artirioles (small blood vessels) and can’t pass through in the gas exchanges. It takes up to three days (more or less) for the crystals to dissolve enough to cross the exchange barrier in our artery’s to veins and start circulating, in that time it causes an increase in pain during which time nothing will happen to help healing.

There you go a simple explanation.

It’s a grin, honest!

• Norny
    Options

I wish I had have asked for the appointment for a couple of weeks after the injection to give it more time to work.

• Daisy171
    Daisy171 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have had a hip replacement and still need cortisone injections which last only two months. During those two months I can run around like a two year old but then after the two months I come to a standstill and back on tramadol and paracetamol again.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

@norny. Sorry for delay. I was told after the inj you can not have surgery for 3 months. So my follow up is 3 months after the inj to see if it worked etc and plan the surgery. I'm not sure now as the inj didn't do much for me at all.

My hip is painful but mayb si joint and back playing a part to.

Pao is still an option for me I think. But it's massive surgery so I'm not sure.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

Does anyone else with all the limping from the painful knees and hip. That your back feels like a sledge hammer has attacked it.

• Norny
    Options

@Emmasknackeredjoints I think the injection has helped a bit but also think back plays a part too. Will wait and see how it is when get reviewed. He did not offer POA thinking is my age 59, he only suggested THR.