CPPD in knees

Options

Any advice for this please, I've had it a few years apparently but I've only just been told. I haven't really had any problems with pain but the last few weeks my knees feel like they're on fire.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @HCAcomm1 and welcome to the online community,

Many people with Osteoarthritis of the knee have CPPD (osteoarthritis with calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition) and it can be extremely painful. You might like to have a look at our information on Acute CPP, which includes CPPD - link below - that covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. It has a section at the end about living with the condition that might be useful. I notice that it also says that symptoms do settle down after while, so hopefully it won't be too long before you feel better.

It's likely there will be other members who live with this condition, so hopefully they'll get in touch to offer support.

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• upthecreak
    upthecreak Member Posts: 15
    Options

I was diagnosed with this a few months ago, and while I also have osteoarthritis in my knees, the GP said that it will be this that's causing me so much pain. BUT the pain I felt then was nothing compared to the pain I felt on Saturday and since then!

It was my granddaughter's 4th birthday and my son offered to drive me and my youngest daughter over to my oldest daughter's as they live an hour away. It's a good job he did as the pain started to build on the journey and by the time we got there I thought I was going to throw up from the pain. My knee symptoms have always been a sickeningly dull pain unless I try and kneel and then all hell breaks loose, but this attack was like having a handful of broken glass ground into my joints.

The sharp pain has eased now to an extent but the stiffness that has replaced it is almost as bad, just in a different way. I'm only 55 and was told this condition rarely affects anyone under 60; I guess I drew the short straw! I had a steroid injection into one of my knees but the effect wore off after 3 weeks, and as you can only have a certain amount into each joint, it's not a sustainable treatment.

I don't have any advice really as I'm still figuring this out for myself; I can't take NSAIDs but I can use Ibuprofen gel sparingly and that does seem to take the edge off for a short while.

Good luck x