Bad reaction to methotrexate

Options

I started on 7.5mg injected methotrexate on Monday morning. The rest of the day was fine, but the following evening had a burning sensation when urinating. In the middle of the night I woke up sweating with a headache and nausea, and felt generally unwell. In the morning (this morning, Weds) I had diarrhoea and lower abdominal pain. After breakfast these got worse, but the diarrhoea eased off by lunchtime to be replaced with lower abdominal pain. Upper abdomen just below my ribs is painful when pressed even lightly. Lots of gurgling and I can feel my heartbeat in my gut.

Stll have a headache and fatigue is 9/10.

My concern is that this could be the same or worse with the next injection. I was initially prescribed 15mg but asked for this to be reduced so that I could evaluate any side effects, as I have a history of serious reactions to many drugs and didn't wast to risk being in a worse situation than taking nothing at all.

Has anyone else here had a similar reaction?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi @Charlieboy

The side effects you mention could all be related to methotrexate, but they sound rather severe and could indicate an infection. Have a look at the information sheet below about the drug - it recommends that you contact a health professional if you're concerned by any of the symptoms you're experiencing.

Do let us know how you get on,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Early days you are on a very low dose I had side effects for at least 4 weeks

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

Take advice is my opinion @Charlieboy

I have to agree with Anna that does sound rather severe to me too. Rheumatology helpline/GP or if all else fails 111 is what I know I would do in your shoes you have time before your next dose.

Do let us know what happens.

Toni xx

• Charlieboy
    Options

I spoke to my GP Late afternoon who referred me back to the hospital helpline. Will have to wait for them to call back. I feel pretty rough today and exhausted, though not nearly as bad as yesterday.