Bipolar and osteoarthritis

Options

My name is Tracey and I’m almost 65 I have bipolar diagnosed 15 years ago now when I lived in South Africa and I have lived here for 4 years now. For the past 2+ years I have osteoarthritis in both knees bone on bone and in a lot of pain. The drs just give painkillers that don’t work right upto morphine patches. I can’t take anti-inflammatory as I take apixiban. The continual pain is making me so depressed that I am struggling to cope. My whole body aches and I am at my wits end now. Any ideas??

Comments

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

I feel for you as I too have bipolar and arthritis. My bipolar is well managed with Lithium (recently reduced due to hand tremors) and I’ve had arthritis for more than 10 years. It is awful and depressing but I try not to let it get to me and take pain meds regularly. Have you seen an Orthapaedic surgeon about your arthritis? This condition cannot be managed by a GP alone. Sounds like you are a candidate for knee replacements. My body aches a lot too, I think arthritis is such a toll on the rest of your body not just the damaged joints. I use a mobility scooter to get around so I’m not stuck indoors. It’s a folding one so fits in the car quite easily. Do you manage to get out at all? It’s a good distraction. I hope you find more support on here. 💗