Worried about hip replacement recovery

Options

I have both osteoarthritis and psoriatric arthritis (PsA). My right hip is bone on bone and thankfully being replaced next week. The left hip is not far behind and is very painful but not yet at the stage that it needs replacing.

My concern is that I have had to come off my biological therapy (adalimumab) that I am on for my PsA for 3 weeks before and at least 6 weeks post op. I mainly have pain in my wrists and hands from the PsA and also in my Achilles tendons.

I am really struggling to walk at the minute due to my hips and also osteoarthritis in my lower back.

At my pre op assessment I asked about post op recovery in people with PsA but unfortunately the nurse could not advise me. Has anyone else been in this situation and if so, how did they manage using 2 walking sticks with painful, swollen hands and fingers?

Thanks in advance and any advise welcome!

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @terryr

Thank you for posting on our Online Community.

Great news that you have your hip being replaced next week but sorry to hear you are struggling with having to stop your biologic meds during this time. This will be a tough time and can appreciate from what you are saying that you are in a lot of pain. Has your rheumatologist team not provided any alternatives? It might be worth speaking to them if not.

If you haven't already seen it here is some info about other treatments for PsA that might be helpful:-

With regards to your question about managing with 2 sticks etc, you may wish to post this on our Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis discussion area, which is a supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others. You are also welcome to call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence.

Best wishes

Louisa

Helpline Advisor

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

Hi @terryr

I am not helpline just an ordinary member. I wondered whether this would have been better off posted on the main forum rather than helpline because not all members read the helpline posts and given your PsA I think you might be interested to see @Nurina 's posts she has RA I think and had her hip replaced….

Best of luck and do read (if you have time) some of the hip replacement diaries in living with arthritis. They are just so helpful when facing surgery.

Toni x