Osteoarthritis

Options

First time poster. Diagnosed with osteoarthritis 12 years ago aged 41- rugby related apparently and in right hip knee and ankle.

I was always very fit and healthy and virtually no issues pain wise until surviving a cardiac arrest in 2021 and having an Implantable cardioverter defibrillator fitted. Many things i couldnt do fitness wise and after being diagnosed with PTSD, stress and anxiety had a year with a psycologist. This got me accepting walking was the new marathon running and 10-15 minute gym workouts at home was the new 1 hiur gym. sessions

This was acceptable until January this year when the arthritis flared up really badly. Could barely walk the dogs and couldnt sleep for the Pain. Self administered some ibuprophen which reacted with my heart tablets and was not good. GP sent me for x rays and prescribed cocodamol last month- slept for the first time ion months. X-Rays back and both hips, lower back and right knee in particular are really bad with bits missing and build up where it shouldnt be and a worrying loss of bone density. Trying not to gain a cocodamol addiction on top of everything else and limit how many i take but cant even go beyond half a km with my wife and dogs before the feeling of a bear trap on right knee and hip with every step.

GP has me on the waiting list for physiotherapy and potential steroid injections. But as she knows me well, several calls on last few week and never really at the GPs until last 3 years she is referring me to the Osteopath at the hospital to review potential hip replacement. The pain is unbearable most of the time and very very debilitating.

Any advice, help, recommendations. I do sleep most of the night now as i take two cocodamol before bed- if i dont i dont sleep due to the pain.

Very frustrating.

Comments