Methotrexate Pneumonia

Options

I have diagnosed with Methotrexate Pneumonia and after over two months it ain’t going away. The drug has scarred my lungs, on top of RA scarring to my lungs leaving me short of breath and feeling as though I have strong elastic around my chest and soreness as I try and expand my lungs, I also had a chest infection from hospital starting at the same time after a small op, although I seem to have got past that, three lots of antibiotics didn’t work.

A scary time! A timescale of rest of life suggests 3-5 years, not something I am ready for especially from an unnatural source. The pulmonary clinic has told me to stop the MTX leaving me with Hydroxcloroquine to take daily. The Rheummy said stop for two weeks, I have stopped for two months so far. Anyone else know more than me?

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 713
    Options

Hi @Airwave!

Really sorry to hear about your problems. I had 3 bouts of pneumonia just after I was diagnosed with PsA and before I was prescribed MTX. I was put on prednisilone for about 4 months and that cured it eventually though I ended up with a patch on my right lung. Unfortunately I think all the drugs prescribed for inflammatory arthritis have possible side effects - I took atrial fibrillation and tachycardia 3 months after starting 20mgs MTX and after the 2nd bout of tachycardia I wasn't seen by a cardiologist but a rheumatologist and my MTX was reduced to 10mgs. I've not had a heart issue since.

I hope you get some treatment that resolves your pneumonia soon.