Stopped taking RA medication

Options

Hi I get confused about taking my medication I am told to stop taking it if I have symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection, which I do most of the time , also I am not sure if the medication is giving me more severe depression, my medication which is AMGEVITA 40mg every two weeks injection. I have not taken it since December 2023 , my RA is bad with flare up , in my feet and hands, my back, so I am nervous about talking to my RA consultant my appointment is in June, this medication is my 6th , I am confused I am scared it will give me cancer, and the fact that I have to stop when I have infection.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,513
    edited 24. Apr 2024, 08:12
    Options

Dear @1961

Thank you for posting on the helpline online community and I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a flare up of your rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms.

Amgevita is a name for the medication adalimumab which is a type of drug known as a biological therapy. In RA too much of a protein called TNF is produced in the body. This causes inflammation, pain and damage to your joints. Anti-TNF drugs such as adalimumab block TNF and so reduce this inflammation. Because it’s a long-term treatment, it’s important to keep taking adalimumab unless you have severe side effects.

You say that are concerned about risk of cancer. There’s no good evidence that using adalimumab to control your immune system increases your risk of cancer.

Anti-TNF drugs have been associated with some types of skin cancer. But the link between the two is unclear and skin cancers are usually treated successfully when diagnosed early. To be on the safe side, make sure to wear sunscreen and regularly check your skin for any new spots or changes to your freckles or moles.

You shouldn’t worry about being honest with your Rheumatologist, they are there to support you with any concerns about your RA medication. As you mention you have regular upper respiratory tract infections, our guidance recommends that you tell your doctor or rheumatology nurse straight away if you develop any signs of infection such as a sore throat, fever, diarrhoea, coughing up green phlegm, or any other new symptoms that concern you. If any of these symptoms are very bad, see your doctor straight away. You have an upcoming appointment in June but would recommend contacting them before then for advice, particularly about restarting adalimumab as there may be specific medical professional advice required with having a 4 month gap since your last administration.

You are wondering also whether your medication is giving you more severe depression. Whilst depression isn’t listed as one of the side effects on our resources or that of the NHS, there may be others for adalimumab so for a full list, see the leaflet inside your medicine packet. However, it is worthwhile talking with your GP about your depression as there may be treatment which could help with this, also they could offer other sources of support. If your RA has flared up it can take its toll on your emotional wellbeing.

You may find the following page on our website helpful:  

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful: 

You may find it helpful to also put your post on our Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis discussion area, which is a supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others. You are also welcome to call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence.

Best wishes

Helen

Helpline Advisor

1961 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you so much, I shall take the advice suggested. Thank you again.