How do you know when it’s time for a hip replacement?

Options

i have advanced arthritis in my knee and moderate to advanced in the same hip. Although my knee sounds worse, it has been bad for a long time, but my hip is failing much more quickly. I have been seen twice by my consultant, the first time he suggested a steroid injection which was beneficial for about 3 months, but has now worn off. I just had another appointment with the consultant who asked me what i wanted to do…have another injection or go for the replacement? I have opted to try the injection again as it worked well first time, but am now wondering if this was the right choice. Even since my appointment last week my hip is feeling worse.Im trying to be proactive and do the right things, am not over weight, walk as much as i can plus swim twice a week. How will i know when it’s time for a replacement?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,026
    Options

Hi @Mommabear have a look through the following, hopefully it will be of help.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

surgeons seek to delay surgery for as long as possible (based on patient’s symptoms) as joint implants do eventually wear out and can only be replaced again once. If you’re finding the steroid injections are working and the surgeon is happy to continue with them, it may be worth having another one, or more, but if they’re no longer giving significant benefit and the pain is intolerable and severely impacting your daily activities, it may be time to schedule surgery. Bear in mind the waiting lists - if the rate of deterioration has increased, which can happen (mine went from level 1 pain to level 10 in a matter of weeks a fall, although that is unusual) it may be worth putting yourself on the list for replacement. Meanwhile keep up with your exercises, which may help keep it at bay for a while and will massively aid your recovery post surgery

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 289
    Options

When you can't walk, or sleep or having a normal life due to the excruciating pain or the mobility limitations. I agree with @Lilymary sometimes the pain is getting worse in several months of weeks. If you can manage with injections, you can delay it. If you feel your pain/ mobility is getting worse, maybe it's a good idea to be in the waiting list and see how you feel at the time they call you. Take care

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 80
    Options

@Mommabear

I agree with above, get yourself on the list as soon as you can for replacement, in the meantime ask for another injection if it helps you, good luck.