Hand issues

Options

Hi there,

Does anyone have experience of arthritis in their hands please? Before I go calling the doctors again, I'm just wondering if this is yet another arthritic issue, or whether it could be carpal tunnel? I have arthritis in my hips, knees and shoulder apparently (personally I think there is something else going on, as none of these areas are swollen or have been, and I'm not responding to any NSAID's. I've had a dull ache from my shoulder all down the outside of my arm for several weeks and more lately have now got issues with my wrist and hand - again, nothing is swollen. I struggle lifting even a large mug, the kettle etc. It hurts across my wrist on certain movements and when I extend my thumb sideways, but in the night I was awoken with a really sharp pain in the centre of the top of my hand, almost like someone driving a nail through it, and nothing would ease it for a few hours. On the other hand, no arthritic shoulder, I have what I can only describe as a sore area on my wrist at the base of my thumb. Nothing is visible or looks different, but it almost feels like the area has been burnt! I use the pc keyboard a lot for my job, and because I'm overweight, I do have to use a lot of pressure when standing up from my chair etc., so wondering if I've hurt them both or what is going on. My daughter is convinced I have fibro, but I've not pursued this to the drs more than mentioning it on several occasions as I know there is little that can be done to help this either. I'm concerned because I have to type a lot for my job and the only other enjoyment I have is knitting. I'm waiting for some wrist supports to arrive to see if these may help, but wondered if this is just yet another sign of this condition taking it's toll….thank you x

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @cox1058 have a look through the following booklet, hopefully it might help.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

it might also be worth considering carpal tunnel syndrome as a possible cause, its not arthritis related (as far as I know, correct me if I’m wrong), but can cause a lot of pain in the hands. I have it both at present, it’s not much fun