Benefit help

Options

hello, I have had 2 hip replacements in the past 3 year due to arthritis, I am 49 years old, I am in agony every day with back pain, i have been left with a a tilted pelvis, I have got a disc that is protruding on my sciatic nerve which give me pain, I struggle to walk far each day, the doctors are going around in circles, I work full time, I was wondering if I would be able to claim any kind of disability benefit? I have just got a blue badge to help. I need the extra support to fund when I get support in my shoes which cost a fortune each time, as the NHS just said get shoe raising from Amazon which are not fit for purpose to help,

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,514
    edited 24. Apr 2024, 08:10
    Options

Dear @RJDoris

Thank you for posting on the helpline online community and I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing so many problems. It must be a real challenge for you to cope with your symptoms, especially whilst also working full time.

You ask about any disability benefits which you could possibly claim. It’s good to hear you already have the blue badge to help with parking.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be something to look into. PIP can help with extra living costs if you have both:

• a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability.
    • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition.

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

There may be other benefits relevant for you and so may find the following page on our website helpful:  

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful: 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP): What PIP is for - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Organisations such as Citizens Advice may be able to help with tailoring benefits advice to your particular circumstances, checking your eligibility and perhaps helping with forms.

You may find it helpful to also put your post on our Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis discussion area, which is a supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others. You are also welcome to call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence.

Best wishes

Helen

Helpline Advisor

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 982
    Options

Hello @RJDoris, just wanted to welcome you to the online community,

I’m sure you’ll find the information that @helpline_team has posted useful, and as they suggested, please do also have a look round the forum and join in any conversations where you feel comfortable or ask any more questions you might have. Many of our members have been in a similar situation to you and have shared their experiences to help others.

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm