Psoriatic arthritis

Options

Hi 👋 it's been a while since I've posted. I wanted to ask about nails. I used to have strong long fingernails but recently cut the shorter due to them becoming brittle and crumbling. My thumbnail has started to become discoloured with thickening and vertical ridges. I was wondering whether there is anything I can do to help either stop it or slow the process down. Do I ring rheumatology advice line or just wait until my next review?

Hope everyone is well.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 719
    Options

Hi @Matia83

I've got PsA and my nails have been brittle for a few years now. I've also got vertical ridges on a number of them. They also separate from the nail bed easily. I now keep my nails really short. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol about 7 months ago and have changed my diet so that I am eating more oily fish and nuts which supposedly also helps with nail brittleness. I was also reading that over use of antibacterial hand wash and sanitiser can cause nail issues. I take MTX and a biologic so use these products multiple times daily. I think a supplement of vitamin B7 is one way that could help.