I've got my date for hip op - advice please

Options

Hi everyone

I've now got my date it's on Wed 8th May for my hip op , I was crying when the secretary called me I'm so scared !!

Any advice please to be calm ?

Thanks in advance

Is the spinal with deep sedation the best option ?

Comments

• SusieBlue
    SusieBlue Member Posts: 3
    Options

hi Sarah, I had the spinal anaesthetic with light sedation 4 weeks ago and the op was ‘text book perfect’ to quote the Consultant. I didn’t hear anything and I don’t remember anything after being wheeled into the operating theatre. Discuss your concerns with your anesthetist - mine was amazing and discussed past experiences and any anxiety’s about the process. I hope all goes well for you. X

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 376
    Options

Hi @anxioussarah wow, 8th May - that's not long now.

I do understand your fears but am sure you will be fine. I actually had spinal with a very light sedation and felt absolutely nothing at all and was up and eating my sandwich and making a phone call within minutes of being back in my room. My anaesthetist was absolutely wonderful in putting me at ease as have all the ones I've read about here, and @SusieBlue confirms above.

Please try not to worry - although I realise that's easier said than done. Just think of the time your life will be a little bit more like your previous normal - it will all be worth it, x

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi @SusieBlue i had my hip replacement last Wednesday like you I was scared stiff, I had the spinal and light sedation, I don’t know why I was so scared, you don’t feel a thing, I was down first and back on the ward by 11.30 I was up walking in the afternoon and I was home by 3.30pm on the Thursday, am still a little sore but on the road to recovery, I wish I hadn’t been so scared, all the staff were so kind and caring, good luck you’ll be fine xxx

• terryr
    terryr Member Posts: 5
    Options

I had my new hip 12 days ago and understand your fear! Unfortunately I was last on the list so didn’t go to Theatre until 4pm. Make sure you bring something in for you to read or music to listen to to pass the time. To be fair, there was so much activity in the ward it kept me busy just watching!
    I have walked 2554 steps today, a lot more than I could do before the op. It will soon be all over and your new life will start!! Good luck x

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Hi @anxioussarah l am just over two weeks post op and doing well. I had the spinal and sedation and can confirm what others have said, you won't feel or hear a thing. Speak to the anaethetist about feeling anxious, they are all great and will make sure you are comfortable and ok. Don't worry it will all be fine and you will back on your feet before you know it. Let us know how you get on.