Post hip replacement exercises

Options

I had a total hip replacement 12 days ago. Apart from a booklet with a few basic exercises to do I have not been given any information or advice on how to progress the exercises.

When I asked for some information from the physio prior to my discharge, I was advised they don’t give advice as everyone is an individual!
can anyone give me any advice please?

Comments

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Hi @terryr l am surprised that the physio gave you that advice and that they haven't given you a date for your first physio appointment post op. I would suggest that speak with the physio department of your hospital for advice. In the meantime Versus Arthritis have many physio videos on Youtube, just do a search and you will find them. Good luck with it l hope you get the answers you need.

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 302
    Options

The first two weeks are just about healing the external wound so there is not much to do apart from the boring exercises of the booklet. Depending on how you are progressing and where the weak points are, your physiotherapist will give you new exercises. Every one of us has compensated their pain, stiffness or gait in a different way. For example, my physio didn't allow me to walk distances because I needed to strength my hip muscles before. It's important to listen to your physio even sometimes the exercises look easy. In a few weeks you'll be able to do a lot more. Patience.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@terryr I was told to just do the exercises in the book but my first physio appointment was just after two weeks and I was then given different exercises and then four weeks later the same exercises but concentrating on certain ones to improve my muscles/gait and given a resistance band to make them harder and more effective. I hope you get some answers and a physio appointment soon. Take care.

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 146
    Options

@terryr as @Janlyn says, I just was told to follow the exercises in the leaflet if you are able to and then the physio will either tell you to continue them or give you new ones to do. Basically if they are too easy you need different ones!

• terryr
    terryr Member Posts: 5
    Options

unfortunately I will not receive a physio appointment at all. All I will receive is a review by the orthopaedic doctor 6-8 weeks post op. That is why I am struggling to know what to do after the first 2 weeks. Thanks for all your advice though.

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Where I live in Wales we have to self refer for physio, so I’m hoping to get a form tomorrow from the doctor to do just that, it’s a week tomorrow since I had my op, and it’s only the exercises that were in my book I’ve been told to do .

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 302
    Options

@terryr I think the physiotherapist guidance is very important. Ask for one to your GP or, if you can afford it, go to a private one but, in my opinion, physiotherapy is crucial for the recovery.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@terryr I agree regarding physio - it is so important to your recovery. If you can get a referral from your GP, or self-refer, or find a private physiotherapist, you will make a far better recovery. We don't always realise when we aren't walking properly but a good physio will get you achieving the best recovery possible. When I told mine after two weeks that if I didn't recover any more I was happy as I was pain free and able to get about, he said he wouldn't be happy unless I recovered my mobility/previous exercise/fitness regime from four years ago!

• KatLB
    KatLB Member Posts: 4
    edited 1. May 2024, 07:42
    Options

I’ve been to a physio pre-op and she said that if the hospital doesn’t put you in touch with a physio team post-op then I should self-refer. I only waited a couple of weeks (pre-op) for an appointment, this is in Berkshire. She also echoed what everyone else here say that it’s really important to get physio support after the op. Hope you can find one local to you.

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 146
    Options

Its definitely important to have some physio as the exercises are changed as you improve. I got a package of six sessions at my local private hospital for £200- well worth the money in my opinion