Trapeziectomy

Options

Hi everyone! I’m just 1 day post op and the pain is pretty intense… just am trying to figure out timeframes of surgical site pain relief, what to expect etc…

any help / advice is appreciated greatly!!!

Joy

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 54
    Options

Hello @mysticjoy , it is lovely to have you here with us in the online community.

Here is a search thread about the same subject :

And here is some general information about Hand and Wrist Surgery:

All the best with your recovery.

@PJoanne

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    Options

Hi @mysticjoy

Hi Joy, I had my trapeziectomy in October 2020. I was in plaster and a sling for two weeks and my arm was wrapped in big blue foam pads - my grandson called it nannas marshamallow lol.

Two weeks post surgery I went to the hand therapist who removed my plaster, made me a splint that i wore almost all the time apart from washing etc. and gave me an exercise pack to follow. You can find these on my thread Trapezieciectomy/hand therapy which is one of the ones linked by @PJoanne I saw my surgeon straight after who was happy with the progress. I have heard from others on here they they've been given no support from hand therapists which is why I attached the exercises.

Do your exercises as instructed and religiously. Keep your sling on 24/7 until the plaster is removed. Sleeping will be easier sat up propped with pillows. You should try to keep your hand pointing over the opposite shoulder to relieve swelling.

Pain management is essential which means take your painkillers regularly and not when you're in pain for the first couple of weeks. Taking them regularly keeps your levels of painkillers at the optimum level to keep you comfortable.

Within 6 weeks I was back at work as a PA typing all day so it's not impossible if you do as your told.

Good luck and if you need any advice please message me/tag me

Trish xx