Is it just osteoarthritis?

Options

I have a stiffness/swelling/weakness in my right knee. My GP has diagnosed it as knee osteoarthritis using X-ray. I can feel no bone-on-bone crunching, it's mainly a soreness down the outside of my leg making it difficult and ungainly to walk. My GP gave me some exercises and I have rejoined a gym which seems to help (for a while).

My question is; is it only osteoarthritis or could there also be something else? As a non-medical person I would have said it was more like a trapped nerve or sprained tendon type of pain.

Has anyone had an ultrasound scan or MRI to confirm the diagnosis? Did it help?

I am a male aged 77 and need to exercise to lose my tummy and reduce the weight load on my knee. Having a stiff/sore knee is a disincentive to going to the gym. 😏

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 54
    Options

Welcome to the online community @Loughlini , it is lovely to have you here as part of the community.

I'm thinking that perhaps a chat with the GP might help your query? I'm not sure what shows up on an xray so perhaps someone at your GP surgery would be able to explain.

Have you thought about swimming, as a non weight bearing activity it might be more suitable initially?

All the best

@PJoanne