Hand and wrist osteoarthritis and bike riding

Options
Sunshinesara
Sunshinesara Member Posts: 2
edited 1. May 2024, 07:11 in Living with arthritis

I love to ride my bike but after diagnoses of osteoarthritis in my finger bones, wrist and feet I stopped. The bone spurs have stopped my ability to clench my hands very well but I have just got a bike with one click gears and hydraulic brakes which is brilliant but the wrist position is the problem. Anyone got advice about wrist position when riding their bike to alleviate the pain. Thank you 😁😁

Tagged:

Comments

• Sunshinesara
    Options

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hi @Sunshinesara ( love your username!)

Welcome to the online community - it’s great to hear that you’re wanting to keep active by cycling and I can completely understand the issue with wrist grip. I don’t ride a bike though, but several of our members are into cycling so hopefully they’ll come up with some suggestions.

Meanwhile, you might like to have a look at the link below about cycling with arthritis:

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 149
    Options

I am a life-long bike rider with OA (now approaching 80 and recently invested in an Ebike) who has also faced these challenges.

It's many years since I was able to hold the handle bar grips securely and I've needed to adjust the brake levers so they are within easier reach. By now my wrist joints are partially self-fused and I've adapted to the smaller range of movement there over time so can't analyse exactly how this was achieved. In any case, your restrictions may well be completely different from mine.

You will need to consider your priorities in cycling then apply creative thinking to making adaptations that will enable you to achieve your goals. Perhaps the manufacturer of your hydraulic brakes could help with suggestions and possible small changes in the placement of the brake levers.

My biggest compromise has been to stay on off-road routes so there is little risk of my less secure position affecting or being affected by other traffic. That, though, has proved a really good move as there are cycle ways (mainly disused railway tracks) within a short drive of home so my husband and I load up our bikes onto a rack attached to the towbar and can be on peaceful and beautiful country rides within a short time.

The process of reaching our present arrangement has not been without expense and I've had to accept that the public road system is not a safe or sensible place for me to be on two wheels! My journey is the product of many years of gradual changes but cycling is the best way I have discovered of remaining in active relationship with the outdoor environment. Of course there has been a gradual reduction in the severity of terrain I can now cross but the sounds, sights and smells of the countryside still lift my spirits - which is worth a lot.

I do hope you soon find a solution to your issue so you, too, can enjoy many more years 'on yer bike'.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    Options

hi @Sunshinesara

I have a virtually new bike in our garage which I had to stop riding about 5 years ago. Firstly while waiting for C6/7 surgery as I couldn' t turn my head properly and secondly due to OA in my left thumb and wrist which meant I didn't feel safe.

I do miss my bike but I doubt I'll get back onto it now but I do have an exercise bike which, when I can get on it to use it, is almost as nice as the real thing.

Trish

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 114
    Options

After breaking my hip whilst cycling a few years ago, I decided I didn't feel safe on 2 wheels anymore but still wanted to cycle so I invested in a recumbent tricycle. This has been a god send since I was diagnosed with RA. It's safe and stable, I have wrist supports so I can rest my hands. As you don't need hands and arms for support I can manage the braking and gear changing safely. It's not a cheap option but worth considering if if means you can keep mobile.