severe pain

Options

Hello thank you for having me. I have severe osteoarthritis in most of my joints. I also require both knees and a hip replacement. However, the consultant says it would be too dangerous for him to operate owing to my emphysema. I do use the gel for pain but it hardly touches it. my hands and fingers are swollen and so painful. I cannot grip or cook very much owing to the safety factor. I really would appreciate any help. Fortunately I have a lovely husband who helps me. I would however like to be more independent. I am 78 years old.

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 419
    Options

@Joyfull how are you feeling today. I am wondering what other painkillers you might have tried, as using a gel isn't sounding like much. I chose a mild one which I thought would suit me, and the doc put it onto prescription for me.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options

Morning @Joyfull welcome to the forum from me😊

Maybe you can sit down with a bowl and at least help a bit chopping up what you can very carefully? Then your lovely husband can cook them? You can get wde handled cutlery and knives. Have you ever seen an occupational therapist? Your GP can refer you if you haven't.

Have you got a trolley on wheels in the house? My MIL used to have one and it increased her independence because she could transport stuff about easier like cups of tea etc as well as helping with her mobility.

I agree with Baloo your GP might also be able to prescribe some better painkillers for you.

Take care

Toni x