Driving application

Options

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the end of December. I’m 18 and decided it’s time to apply for my provisional, but i’m unsure if i need to tell the DVLA that i have rheumatoid arthritis? Does anyone know what i should do? i should specify my RA affects my hips

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    Options

Hi @mollymartin

I am an Epileptic and have had many battles with the DVLA over the years and my advice would be firstly to check their website to find out what the current list of reportable conditions is. I've not seen RA on the list but always be honest with them. If it's not on the list tell them anyway and keep yourself covered.

Good Luck

Trish

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options

I'd cover myself too @mollymartin and did you know disabled people can learn to drive at 16?! Probably the only actual advantage to having a disability!

A quick phone call to the DVLA might put your mind at rest. I know there are places where you can go for a one-off assessment to check you will be safe if you are at all concerned.

I hope you are a natural driver and pass first go.

Best of luck

Toni x

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 302
    edited 6. May 2024, 09:44
    Options

Unless it affects your ability to drive or you'd need car modifications, you don't have to report it.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    Options

Hi again @@mollymartin

This is the link to the official DVLA site relating to driving conditions which you must report on

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions

so, unless you've got any of the conditions listed you should be OK. However, I am a firm believer in telling the DVLA everything, having had many battles with them over my Epilepsy and what my GP considers a seizure and what the DVLA consider a seizure they can, and do, nit pick about every little thing. Good Luck

Trish xx

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 286
    Options

Hi @mollymartin and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed at 21 in 1985 so i know what your going through. I was a late starter to driving and only passed my test back in 1991 but i did disclose i had OA & RA arthritis and was blind in one eye but no stipulations or issues.

only thing is i passed only automatic which is much easier for me as left hip was causing problems back then before i had my left hip replaced and as that is the clutch foot i wasnt going to risk it with manual.

Anything official like this its always worth being truthful as we all know how insurance companies work once you do past your test and if you dont disclose ive heard of quite a few that were told they were not covered even though the accident wasnt their fault.

Good luck and keep us posted.