Prednisone (steroid tablets) - did they work for you?

Options

Hello everyone,

I'm about 5 months into a formal PsA diagnosis and have been started on methotrexate. Recently my knee started swelling again - they upped my methotrexate dose and gave me prednisone tablets to take for three weeks because I had already had three steroid injections.

I'm coming close to the end of these three weeks and the swelling in my knee is still there.

Has anyone else had any experience with prednisone? I'm a bit worried about calling the rheumatologist to let them know the swelling hasn't gone down as I'm not sure what my options will be now…

Any advice on this or what to expect next? 😥

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 419
    Options

@ams0045 whats your dose level. When I went on Prednisolone, it was like nothing was ever wrong until the dose was reduced or stopped.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @ams0045

I think that as @Baloo said it does depend on the dosage. Shortly after I was diagnosed with PsA I contracted pneumonia. I was put on prednisilone at 20mgs once a day on a sliding scale reducing by 5mgs every 5 days. Like you both my PsA and pneumonia came back as it was reduced so they upped it again. I was on it for four and a half months in a kind of saw tooth pattern. I agree that when it worked on full dose the world felt back to normal. I remember the consultant who prescribed it saying to me that's both the benefit and trouble with steroids - and why it's difficult to determine how well the patient is while on them. I think that's partly why they prescribe them on a reducing dose.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 136
    Options

I know when I first saw the rheumatologist (in October 2021) as my knees were very swollen she also drained fluid from the knee (and did a steroid injection at the same time). I found that having fluid drained helped enormously!