Hello and I need a bit of advice

I have arthritis in most joints but my knees bother me quite a bit, will using an exercise bike help or would it be more likely to exacerbate the problem. I want to strengthen my leg muscles and use my road bike so any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

Hello and welcome @doggyman . Yes cycling is good for arthritic knees. Have look here and enjoy

https://versusarthritis.org/news/2021/april/cycling-top-tips-for-getting-into-gear/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,195

Hello @doggyman and welcome to the Community.

@stickywicket has already given you the link to our cycling information but you also might like to take a look at our stretching video

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on with the cycling.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 418

Hi @doggyman and welcome to the forum.

I have Arthritis knees and specifically took up cycling as a low-impact alternative to the Sports I can no longer do.

As I'm sure you know, it's a great way to get around, good cardio and helps strengthen calves, quads and glutes which will enable them to cope with the extra workload they're under due to the weakness in one's knees. I have a road bike and I found the only concessions I had to make due to my condition was not to clip in (for fear of toppling over in the event I couldn't unclip potentially injuring my knees further) and to get compact cassettes on my bikes to make it easier going up hills as I find it too painful climbing out of the saddle.

I also use an exercise bike at my local sports centre pretty much every day, I have the saddle high to allow for my restricted range of movement and go to weekly Spin classes which are hard but great fun.

In short, I think Cycling in any of its forms is one of the safest and best activities for anyone with Arthritis in their hips downwards.

Hope this help and good luck!

Jon