Waiting for hip replacement op

Would love some information on how to cope with sleeping on your back post operation for 6 weeks. Have been a side sleeper all my life.

Comments

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 169

I'm the same @elizabeth669 and it was tough sleeping on my back for such a long time post op but having the leg separater pillow meant I could feel if I tried to turn over. You won't want to try to sleep on the op side for a while and that was the side I always slept on. You'll fidget a lot no doubt and alternate from sleeping propped up, flat or in a chair!

It does get better I promise! Julie x

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,195

Hello @elizabeth669 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Have a look through the following from our website which I hope will be of help to you.

and

Please let us know how you are progressing.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 494

@elizabeth669 Hi - I agree with all Julie says above. I had my left hip replaced almost five months ago and it was difficult at the time but I can honestly say now it feels all in the past and I do sometimes find myself sleeping on my back amazingly for the first time ever in my life.

I would it slightly easier to try to sleep propped up with a few pillows. I put a pillow under my ankles and dangled my feet off the end to avoid sores on my ankles. The not being able to move around was the hardest bit - I never realised how much I shuffled and turned from one side to the other until I couldn't. But really I took to not expecting too much and sleeping during the day in a chair which was far easier and more comfortable. I tossed and turned in bed and after about four hours gave up and got up.

You might find you are allowed a few minutes on your side earlier than six weeks, but it depends on your hospital, consultant and physio.

All good wishes for your op, take care, x

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 368

I always sleep on my side or on my belly so sleeping on my back for 6 weeks was really tricky. Like my colleagues here, I was sleeping propped up because at night my body wanted to turn over. I slept almost sat with pillows around like it was a throne. As the pain was more manageable, nights were improving a lot. Time flies and soon you'll be able to sleep on your side. I wasn't allowed to sleep on mine until the first visit to my consultant, on week six. The consultant told me I could sleep on my sides with a pillow between my legs to avoid crossing my operated leg over the other to minimise the risk of dislocation. Better safe than sorry. From here, I've followed my physio recommendations because I will not see my consultant until the 6th month. Good luck and take care.