Rejected for PIP

Hi all,

I’m a 23 year old female who was diagnosed with RA in 2022 and has since had a partial wrist fusion on my dominant hand last July.

I had now have 2 screws and a bit of joint removed due to high levels of erosive damage.

I really struggle with cutting and I was told not to lean on my wrist a lot when doing exercise / cooking.

I applied for PIP and got rejected which I’m so annoyed about!! My RA even has caused damage in my left foot as well and 2 years ago I couldn’t write/lift things with my right hand/wrist or walk…

I now feel better for the first time in years but wanted some monetary help due to the aid I require when cooking. I always have to rely on others to help me cutting and choppers are troublesome too.

Does anyone have any experience appealing PIP decisions?

My condition affects my daily life and they believe it doesn’t whatsoever.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 725

Hi @Laura25,

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

I note that you were diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago which is affecting your ability to perform some daily tasks such as cooking preparation. You applied for PIP but were turned down. You’d like to hear from any forum members who can offer advice as to how to appeal a PIP decision.

This link to our website may be of some use:

What I would suggest is that you call our helpline, details below, who may be able to provide advice on how to appeal and your chances of success.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Sam54
    Sam54 Member Posts: 3

Hi

I read people with RA can not get PIP which i think is wrong, i know a few people who has PIP and to be honest they do not need it!! Just saying!

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 674
    edited 10. May 2024, 19:32

Hi @Laura25

There are quite a few discussions on PIP in here, if you click on the magnifying glass at the top right hand side and type in PIP you'll find a few with some very good advice.

One of the ones I looked at briefly advises to ask Citizen's Advice for assistance as they're very good at processing PIP claims.

Good Luck, I hope you get some help

Trish xx

• laypom_65
    laypom_65 Member Posts: 1

I was refused aswell.I was given no points at all i found a free law center who took my cased appealed it went to the tribunal with it took a while but i award full pip.and mobility for three years the turn everybody down hoping you will give up dont hope this helped good luck 😀

• NSG2023
    NSG2023 Member Posts: 6

I got rejected for PIP and Citizens Advice have just written to them asking them yo reconsider, they belive I should get my claim over turned and I should get it

• svs
    svs Member Posts: 1

just keep going they want you to give up I waited a year then went in front of a panel and got it you have to be persistent and take advise on your answers

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 56

Don’t give up. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and walking and standing is so painful. The first time I was turned down (not enough points) so I applied again. It was during lockdown so no face to face interviews. The assessor called me instead and he was so nice and really helped me. He asked me do you need help with cooking? I said I have to sit down so use a perching stool and he said we can write down. He helped draw all the info from me, no lies, all the truth, but he was brilliant. I was lucky to get him as an assessor and some of them are useless. There has been huge criticism of this system from many disability charities as it seems to assume we are all lying layabouts! Hope a new governments get rid of this dreadful system. We shall see. Just keep applying and don’t let the buggers get you down!