New to Community

Hi everyone’s. I am new to the chat room but wouldn’t like some advise. My rheumatology team are assessing me for biologicals. i don’t know anyone who takes these but would love feedback on how people are getting on with them.

I havrvmy X-rays and blood tests next week prior to my appointments. I have the information leaflet for Adalimumab but it doesn’t answer questions I may Havel.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812
    edited 21. Jun 2024, 07:49

Hi @CraftingfNanna

I've been on the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita for almost 3 years now. I take it along with sulfasalazine and methotrexate. The combination has worked for me as I don't have anything like the pain levels I did have previously. I'm not cured but I am in a far better place.

At the time I was put on Amgevita the requirement in my health area was that the patient had had to have tried 2 other DMARDs that hadn't worked and had to have at least 3 swollen joints. I'd had x-rays and MRI scans previously and on the day of testing I was subject to ultrasound testing and then had 8-10 phials of blood taken. They check for all sorts of things including tuberculosis and hepatitis.

Taking biologics leaves you immunocompromised and you need avoid certain foods so you just need be a bit more careful in what you do and eat. Make sure your GP has noted this on your health records.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 822

Hello @CraftingNanna welcome to the online community

You are being assessed for biologic treatment and want to know more about it. Thanks to @JamieA you have a very helpful account of his personal improvement since he has been taking Amgevita. As you can appreciate we all react differently to medication so if you choose to try biologics I hope they suit you as they obviously have for JamieA.

I attach some more information and hope that it helps your decision.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/adalimumab/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/research/research-achievements/anti-tnf-the-inflammatory-arthritis-treatment-revolution/

We are glad you found us and hope that you will let us know how your appointment goes.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.