Osteoarthritis

I already have osteoarthritis in my left knee and for months my right knee has been really painful. I done a self referral to see a physio and after having to keep on asking for them to x-ray my right knee they finally agreed to. Today I got the x-ray results and I now have severe osteoarthritis in right knee. Feeling really fed up about this. I am now on the waiting list to talk about having a steroid injection. Am worried about how bad my mobility will get in the future

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,186

Hi @catwoman You might find the following article of use.

and there are our stretching exercises on Youtube

Hope it helps and you get the injections soon.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,772
    edited 16. Jul 2024, 10:18

Fed up that it's taken this long to 'see' what was going on I should think @catwoman 🙄

I really hope the steroid injection helps. I'm having one in my shoulder tomorrow afternoon fingers crossed. I have waited a long time too to get to here.

Maybe you might even need surgery long term. Just in case you do the exercises that @noddingtonpete suggests will really help you prepare for surgery and help with recovery as your muscles will be stronger.

Take care

Toni x

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 56
    edited 18. Jul 2024, 01:28

Have you been referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon? They can assess the severity and the best course of treatment. Steroid injections work for some and not others. I’ve had several and they help ease some of the pain but only lasted about 3 weeks for me. You don’t state your age, but I’m sorry to say osteoarthritis only gets worse with time. However, there are options for you such nerve block injections. Works for 50% of people at reducing pain but didn’t work for me. Typical! Another option is a knee replacement and this is certainly the place to talk about that. If you’ve not done so already then please ask your GP to refer you to a Ortho surgeon. Or you can self refer privately.