Hi just a newbie here - I was diagnosed when I was 28 but now 56 . I have bone spurs on all my joints but not had much pain (only my knees - stage 3 )

I fell 6 weeks ago on my right side - and am struggling with my shoulder elbow and wrist . So not sleeping on my affected side and struggling with the morning stiffness.

So I am using warmth and bamboo sleeves on wrist and elbow Trying a heat lotion from Amazon that’s really good . Heat pad for shoulder but just wanted to ask if you have any suggestions or tips - especially the morning stiffness- really appreciated

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,055

Hello @Teresarob and welcome to the online community,

Pain can be a real challenge when you’re living with arthritis, and it sounds like you’re trying lots of different ways to manage it. Have you been checked out to see if you sustained any injuries when you fell? If not, it might be worth speaking to your GP about the pain you’re still experiencing.

Here are a couple of links that might be useful to have a look at, and hopefully other members might come along to give some other suggestions.

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 56

I find cold compresses better than hot, but maybe that’s just me! I use medical gel packs on achy joints, my knees mostly, which I keep in the freezer ready for use. It also helped with my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome burning pain. I have OA but assume yours is RA?

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 478
    edited 18. Jul 2024, 20:16

@Teresarob morning stiffness comes worse from staying in bed longer. With this in mind I find my usual strategy now is to sleep in at the weekend when it doesn't matter as much and can be as stiff as I like.

Then when the week comes along I am better rested, and can afford some late nights, which means I don't feel as stiff, but obviously it catches up again at the weekend. Oddly enough I also feel more alert on less sleep. Strange how it works.

My days of regular sleeping hours went out the window tens of years ago. I wonder what the regular sleepers do.